Re: process for second pull request

OK, so I found some time to run through this with an example.

I had an SC to propose, so I did the following:

  1.  I already had forked the W3C/WCAG21 repository (https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/) to my own repo (https://github.com/awkawk/wcag21/).
  2.  I made a new branch in my version of the repo (https://github.com/awkawk/wcag21/tree/MyWonderfulBranch)
  3.  I went to the guidelines page and added my new SC, and then after saving it I followed the prompt to create a pull request that shows up in the pull request list for the W3C/WCAG21 repo (https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/pull/117). This change is based on a single save operation, or commit. IT looks like the following in the GitHub screen:[cid:2AF0E0F9-9776-4B2F-89F5-E3D54158FD9A](https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/pull/117/commits/643ff7acb35e2e3223f22d51d0074447a31746ef)

Once the pull request is sumbitted, we will assume that we surveyed this SC and the group felt that it was almost perfect (or massively flawed), which means that I need to work on it further. So, this is what I do:

  1.  I got back to my branch (https://github.com/awkawk/wcag21/tree/MyWonderfulBranch) and make the edits that I need to make.
  2.  When I save my changes, this represents an additional commit and it automatically becomes part of the pull request.
  3.  In the pull request you can now see that there are two commits that make up the pull request. The second commit shows the changes that have been made since the first commit: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/pull/117/commits/8d2ca858a97d3634c7dbd31c53adfbd55ad4790a

  4.  If you want to see the complete proposal for the pull request you just need to review the pull request pages:
     *   The pull request “conversation” page for comments.
     *   The list of commits that make up the pull request
     *   The code changes in the file or files (in this example there is only 1 file involved): https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/pull/117/files

        *   Some people like the “unified” view and others like the “split” view for file changes. There is a control that allows you to select which way to show the changes at the top of the files page.
           *   Unified: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/pull/117/files?diff=unified

           *   Spilt: https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/pull/117/files?diff=split

If necessary, I can make further edits to the pull request, or the group may close the pull request without accepting it into the W3C/WCAG21 repo, or if the WG decides to it can accept it (merge the pull request) into the main repository.

I think that this process is similar to what you describe, except that there isn’t a second pull request, there are further edits to the existing pull request.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,
AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick
Group Product Manager, Standards and Accessibility
Adobe

akirkpat@adobe.com
http://twitter.com/awkawk