RE: Change in process?

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:47 AM

I find that frankly very discouraging, because everyone who shows up to WCAG calls and provides feedback on this list are dedicated accessibility professionals who have demonstrated through their personal histories and actions how much they care about accessibility. If some members of the Working Group are finding the resistance to some of these SC difficult now, I fear what will happen when they are published for wider review by non-accessibility experts later this year.
[Jason] I fully support John’s comments here, adding that one of the most effective ways of inspiring external resistance (by which I mean outright opposition) would be to publish a lot of under-prepared proposals in a working draft, as some have advocated in this discussion. I am concerned that the road to WCAG 2.1 will be difficult; there may be formal objections along the way. We need good, well founded, efficacious, clearly written proposals that can be defended, should this become necessary. More importantly, Web content authors and people with disabilities deserve high-quality proposals which will address accessibility barriers by the most effective means that we can specify. Finally, it should be recalled that whatever we put into WCAG 2.1 is likely to last a long time, so the standard for acceptance is necessarily high.
I am encouraged that we have a capable and committed community of working group participants who are collaborating to undertake this challenging task.

Thank you for your compliance.