Re: Free Chrome extension for personalization

On 09/02/2017 08:51, lisa.seeman wrote:
> The point of the extension is it is a freely available download and the
> author does not have to include the script themselves. If I was an
> author I would use the include becuse then the author maintains control.
> However I do not think people felt that was interoperable enough and it
> has to also ne a free download.

I think it's also not realistic to expect all authors of all web content
out in the wild to start adding specific customisation code to all their
sites - that is one of the concerns. It's a much bigger ask than for
authors to add new, solidly specified and standardised, and UA supported
attributes in markup. So realistically, the extension route is probably
the one that should be explored further.

Worth exploring if the extension script can also make sense (and to what
degree) of existing and well-established markup elements and attributes
- for instance, if a page uses the <aside> element, or has elements with
a role="complementary", treat those as non-essential, and have the
extension hide these as non-essential. This way, the extension would
become immediately useful on sites that use modern markup, even if
authors haven't added any new proposed attributes.

Patrick H. Lauke