RE: Accessible authentication and we need a fundamental change

From: John Foliot [mailto:john.foliot@deque.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 1, 2017 1:14 PM

That is good to know - thanks. Is there a web location that is tracking the activities of that TF? I'd love to know more about what y'all are up to.

[Jason] The home page is at https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/

on which you’ll find a link to the wiki, which is where all of the detailed work is tracked.

> Of course, the proposals to introduce APIs for creating and using authentication information offer a much better solution, where, again, the UA rather than the content author provides the user interface.

This indeed appears to be the case
​, but that then means that this need will likely be deferred to Project Silver, as WCAG is all about the content creator and what *they* must do to achieve success.
[Jason] Yes, although this can sometimes be worked around with “a mechanism is available” or similar wording, whereby the responsibility falls to the content author only if the user agent and assistive technologies don’t satisfy the requirement.
Given the increasing range of APIs that are becoming available (authentication, Web payments, etc.) which expect user interfaces to be provided by user agents, I think Silver will need to address UA requirements in this area.

Thank you for your compliance.