Re: Combine 79, 78, and 74 SCs? (was Re: Mechanism Disclaimer)

On 23/01/2017 19:00, Gregg C Vanderheiden wrote:

>> The font-size aspect is not addressed by this SC, only changing the
>> font-family. If the user changes the foreground colour without
>> changing the background – that’s their problem the author did not
>> block that. If they change foreground & background colors and then
>> the site is unusable because it relied on background images to
>> convey information, that is on the author. (The kind of issue that
>> can come from high-contrast mode or similar browser plugins.)
>
> Ah -  so what we really want to say is
>
> hmmm
>
> Boy — I’m not sure how to word this that both embraces the fact that
> the author isnt responsible if the user does something that makes the
> page unusable - with a requirement that the page not become unusable
> when the user changes it —  without sounding circular.
>
> in short - how do we keep it from reading
>
> "The page much remain functional if the user changes x,y, or z
> except if the user changes one of these in a way that makes the page
> unusable. "

This is almost boiling down to (for web pages at least): authors should
use semantic HTML and CSS, rather than any other kinds of technologies,
which will allow users and user agents to modify their presentation to
suit their needs. Many of these aspects are arguably already covered by
/ related to other existing SCs (1.3.1, 1.4.5/1.4.9?), and I'm almost
getting whiffs of Section 508 1194.21 (b) "Applications shall not
disrupt or disable activated features of other products that are
identified as accessibility features..." and perhaps even 1194.22 (d)
"Documents shall be organized so they are readable without requiring an
associated style sheet. "

Patrick H. Lauke