Re: Mechanism Disclaimer

Hi Patrick and all,

>From what I have gathered I "think" the main issue is that users can't
change font family, spacing, etc in a particular extension (some folks
on the LVTF rely on the stylish extension) whenever authors use
!important on HTML elements. It seems stylish applies its styles at
document level (check my test case [1]). Users CAN change them in
Safari and IE. However, IE is on the way out. I'm not sure how many
people with low vision use Safari.

It seems browsers vendors are phasing out support for user style
sheets. Alastair is working on an extension that will hopefully
provide the needed functionality.

My question is what is within the scope of the WCAG WG SCs to help
people with low vision adjust spacing, fonts, etc?  Wayne's text says
"The user can change the font family down to the element level..."
Would this mean authors can't use !important on HTML elements because
the stylish extension applies its CSS at document level? If so, that
could be a failure technique.

Kindest Regards,
Laura

[1] http://www.d.umn.edu/~lcarlson/wcagwg/tests/user_styles/important_spacing.html