Re: Mechanism Disclaimer

On 20/01/2017 12:18, Alastair Campbell wrote:

> Well, we’re covering web-content rather than native apps

Interesting side note: during discussions in MATF, there has always been
some circling around "we want to also target native (mobile) apps", with
the point that native apps are still "content". While I share your view
that this is about the content only, already with things like Flash we
had a certain blurring of the lines (as yes, Flash is content, but
essentially its own isolated user agent in many ways).

> Just because something isn’t supported on mobile doesn’t mean we
> shouldn’t improve things on desktop, assuming that it doesn’t make
> the mobile experience worse for everyone else. I think that applies
> to Resize content and several other SCs as well.

Sure, I just want to make sure the language is crystal clear - because
if the SC mandates that something be possible, and the platform doesn't
natively provide it (no browser, no OS feature, etc) then it needs to be
clear that the onus then doesn't fall on the author to provide
customisation dialogs and widgets (unless they want to).

Patrick H. Lauke