Re: should we say "critical controls" or just "controls".

On 27/06/2017 19:35, lisa.seeman wrote:

> *Here is the question: should we say "critical controls" or just
> "controls"?*
>
> The advantage of saying "critical controls" is it limits the amount of
> work that the author has to do. so you only need to add sematics to some
> controls (of course you do not have to add any with option 1)
>
> The disadvantage is there is a bit of a judgment call on what is a
> critical control. Note that we are not asking you to identify that they
> are critical control or not, just to add contextual information to them.
> So if you are not sure you can always just add the contextual
> information. The point is you do not need to add contextual information
> to things that you are sure are extra. (it is a more limited usage then
> the the "core" was used in the last version.)
>
> So for example, on a page to compose an email, the send button would be
> critical, but undo button or format buttons would not be critical. If
> you had an app for businesses with different buttons for different types
> of employees they would all be critical. if you are not sure you would
> never be at fault for adding more contextual information, you would just
> be doing more then the minimum.

The problem however comes when authors don't do more than the minimum.
And auditors need to determine if what the authors did is a pass or a
fail. Of course if every author, when faced with "grey areas" of wording
decided to go above and beyond what's required, this would never be an
issue. But in reality many authors will in fact try to find the absolute
minimum they can get away with.

So unless there can be a normative and unambiguous definition of
"critical" (which I doubt, as it's subjective/depends on author
intent/user intent/etc) I don't think this is appropriate wording for
normative spec language.

Patrick H. Lauke