Re: Long list of sites that use personalization to meet wcag

On 22/06/2017 16:32, Alastair Campbell wrote:

> > the personalisation aspect comes with a _chicken & egg_ problem.
>

> Sorry, I shouldn’t rely on jargon!
>

> I mean that both ends (the user and the website) need to have
> implemented it in order for personalisation to work, and neither has
> motivation to implement it until the other has.

It depends on what you want. In the absence of special software on the
user's side, it is possible to add personalisation options to a website
and then store the settings in a cookie.
At <https://youtu.be/qMqlkPyHx8Y?t=1m40s> you can see an excerpt from a
video about an online banking simulation that also supports pictograms
(not BLISS or another widely used set, but that isn't the point). In
this demo, the pictograms appear only on hover, which is not ideal for
keyboard-only users, but other options are possible. (The video is in
German but has English subtitles.)
A video of a more recent version of this online banking demo can be seen
at <https://youtu.be/ljtXSxbTtQA?t=1m14s>.
This same demo also shows how the default user interface can be replaced
with a simpler user interface: <https://youtu.be/ljtXSxbTtQA?t=3m6s>.
This doesn't add symbols but is also interesting from a cognitive point
of view.

Also interesting from a cognitive point of view is the demo at
<http://build.fluidproject.org/prefsEditors/demos/explorationTool/>.
Check "doesn't make sense" at the bottom of the page: this will open
where you can pick adaptations such as "simplify", "extra words" and
"speak".

All of this has a direct or indirect relationship with GPII, which
should eventually provide the tools on the user side that would allow
things such as persistence of settings etc.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--
Christophe Strobbe
Akademischer Mitarbeiter

“I drink tea and I know things.”
Falsely attributed to Christophe Lannister.