RE: Orientation comments analysis

> [Jason] This is interesting – I think Andrew’s amendment of the proposal in the CfC is clearer. With this proposal, buttons in the Web application’s UI for locking/unlocking the display orientation could be taken as one of the possible mechanisms, so presumably the concern that I’ve raised here is addressed. Personalization would also appear to be covered. I could certainly live with this as a proposal, based on what has been discussed so far.

Yes, this would use the WCAG 2.0 definition for mechanism which covers anything provided in the content and anything relied upon from the user agent, which in most cases for unlocked content just means turning the screen.

I have to disagree that the current proposal is clearer because it doesn’t start by stating the actual user requirement to be able to view content in the fixed orientation of their choosing.  Instead it presumes rotation is automatic and states the usual method for not blocking it, which I’d argue fails SC requirement #3:

“3. Describe the specific condition required to meet the criteria, not the method to address the criteria.”

It also states a negative condition instead of a positive one (which is not in the 2.1 SC requirements but I think used to be?).  Either way, I think it’s clearer to have a positive statement

Last but not least, the current wording does not consider the case where the device simply does not have the capability to rotate orientation.  We think of this as completely legacy, but I think it’s important for wider applicability (especially beyond web content).  Besides, it doesn’t actual create a user problem.

Steve