Re: Proposal for moving COGA SC forward

Hi Mike...

Personally, I like this (the idea of expanding Principles/Guidelines) and I
certainly hope that it will propagate over to the Silver project, but we
may still run into the testability issues that are a part of WCAG 2.x.

Additionally, I think many of the topics you outlined could in fact live as
"child" guidelines under the 4 Principles. For example, "Conformity with
user expectations" and "Error tolerance" could (easily, I believe) live
under the "Understandable" principle as "Guidelines" (sans specific SC
today), while "Support for individualization" could be a Guideline under
the "Robust" principle. For example:

Perceivable:

   1. Guideline 1.1 – Text Alternatives
   2. Guideline 1.2 – Time-based Media
   3. Guideline 1.3 – Adaptable
   4. Guideline 1.4 – Distinguishable

​Operable:

   1. Guideline 2.1 – Keyboard Accessible
   2. Guideline 2.2 – Enough Time
   3. Guideline 2.3 – Seizures
   4. Guideline 2.4 – Navigable

​Understandable:​

   1. Guideline 3.1 – Readable
   2. Guideline 3.2 – Predictable
   ​

   3. ​​
   Guideline 3.3
   ​​
   – Input Assistance
   4.
*Guideline 3.4 ​ – Error tolerance​ (New)*

   5. ​
   ​

*Guideline 3.5 ​– Conformity with user expectations​ (New) *
             (just 1 idea - potentially this could also be a Guideline 2.5
   under "Operable" - for discussion)

​Robust:

   1. Guideline 4.1
   ​​
   – Compatible
   2. ​
*Guideline 4.2  ​– Support for individualization​ (New)*

I suggest this because "Guidelines" state the requirement(s) clearly (and
for many of the COGA issues, we certainly have that already), and each
current Guideline also has "Understanding" documentation assigned to them
(COGA has furnished much of this as well), yet "Guidelines" themselves
are *statements
of intent*, and not testable SC per-se.

That said, I'm still not sure how we then get specific Criteria included
(again because of the testability piece), but at least we'd have a
consistent (if expanded) WCAG structure to work within. Just spit-balling
ideas here... (and suggesting that getting intent and understanding into
2.1 would still be a significant advancement, no?)

JF

--
John Foliot
Principal Accessibility Strategist