Re: Proposal for moving COGA SC forward

I've been thinking of the "pillars" as success criteria. The reason for
this is I think the supplemental guidance document has to supplement
something, so we need SC in WCAG 2.1 in order to have a hook to build on
in the supplement.

If we look at things that might be viewed as "pillars of cognitive
accessibility", they do indeed look more like guidelines than SC. For
instance, one starting proposal is the eight sections in
https://rawgit.com/w3c/coga/master/gap-analysis/#roadmap---tables-of-user-needs.
But the problem with guidelines is, we have to have SC under them. So
introducing the pillars as guidelines wouldn't by itself solve our
problem of narrowing down COGA SC to basics.

Making the pillars into SC means wrenching a guideline into SC form.
That's not ideal, and it means many aspects of the pillar have to be
left out in order to meet SC requirements. But the goal of this proposal
isn't to come up with a perfect or complete set of COGA SC, it's to come
up with enough that a) there is at least some normative content in WCAG
2.1 addressing the user groups and b) that we can meaningfully expand on
them in the supplemental guidance.

This proposal means leaving a lot out, but making a concerted effort to
have basic coverage nonetheless. It's intended to work with the proposal
for supplemental guidance, it's probably not something we'd like on its
own.

I know people would like to see examples of what these pillars might be
to inform their reaction. I think we should work those details out on
list, so we sent the proposal without examples to start. I will try to
take a pass at what pillars could look like soon, and you may see other
proposals from others as well. Note the goal is to wind up with better
cognitive accessibility representation in WCAG 2.1 than we currently
seem on track to accomplish, but initial discussion of the pillars
proposal may nonetheless be difficult.

Michael