RE: Target Size and Target Size (no exception) SC

See below.
Steve

From: Kathy Wahlbin [mailto:kathy@interactiveaccessibility.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:25 PM
To: Repsher, Stephen J <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>; Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Target Size and Target Size (no exception) SC

Before joining the consensus, I’d like to get clarification on 2 points:

  1.  Can I assume that the CSS padding & negative margin technique<http://codepen.io/patrickhlauke/pen/aBNREe> that had been proposed to meet this SC for links within blocks of text is being abandoned?  For the AA version we have the exception, but for AAA I’d like to understand the expected technique.  If it will be simply to adjust font size and/or line height, then I’m okay.  Otherwise, I cannot support this CFC because such a technique decreases  accessibility by causing expanded visual focus indicators for some UA/AT, and the issue of overlap is also not dealt with in any way.

Yes, targets in blocks of text are excluded from the requirements
[Steve] I’ll accept that “yes” for AA, but there is no such exception for AAA for which we still need to provide techniques.

  1.  The re-worded exception for user agent control, now meant to exempt controls without styling, reads: “the target is determined by the user agent and is not modified by the author”.  I feel like this was accepted pretty hastily without clarification on where the line in the CSS sand actually lies.  I take this to mean that if any style properties are specified that cascade to a target, then the exception no longer applies.  Is that correct?  For example, if my CSS has a single line to specify a font and nothing else, am I expected now to add more properties to make my “Send” button bigger because “Send” will take the new font?

It is mean only for native controls that are not changed by CSS or other methods in other technologies.
[Steve] I don’t think that answers my question.  I’m asking about what constitutes a “change”.

Steve