Re: Another way forward? (Just an idea for discussion)

Hi Liam,

Hopefully this will be the last message in this thread-within-a-thread.
Sorry.

On Fri, May 5, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 2017-05-05 at 10:27 +1000, David Wood wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org> wrote:
> >
> [...]
> > > Well, "a manifistation" is a different word from "a manifest".
> > > There's
> > > no such thing as a frbr manifest. A manifest in PWP means a list of
> > > files. The BigRetailer adds a new entry to the list of files in the
> > > publication, the "teaser".
> > >

> > That is all true. It is also true that the word "manifest" (not
> > "manifestation") is used in other places in a FRBR context.
>
> I've just reviewed the PWP draft and don't see any occurrences of
> "manifest" as a noun (as opposed to "manifestation") being used in a
> FRBR sense; if the FRBR people are being sloppy with language
> elsewhere, or if others are, I'm not sure there's anything we can do,
> since "manifest" is the usual term for a list of contents both in
> English (e.g. a shipping list, as the draft mentions) and in computing,
> and the draft introduce the terms carefully.
>
> But again, you could make specific suggestions as issues against the
> document. I don't think asking the EPUB people to drop the word
> "manifest" will fly, even if "manifest.xml" files might become
> deprecated in the future... but if the reference to the FRBR
> "manifestation" is confusing for people, maybe it could be clarified
> with a note like,
>
>    The term "manifestation" is used in this section as defined in FRBR;
>    The term "manifest" is used throughout this specification to mean
>    a resource (a file) containing a list of references to other
>    resources, in the manner of a shipping list, or a list of things
>    that needed to be downloaded for offline use.
>
> when the FRBR concept is mentioned? It seems a little pedantic, but
> avoiding confusion is a good thing.

Yes, I think that would be helpful.

Specifically, I think it can help reduce confusion in (e.g.) Section 2.1.3
of [1], "A Manifest may include:... References to alternative
manifestations of the publication."

Regards,
Dave

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/pwp/