Re: Is Java Web Start covered by WCAG?

alistair

good definitions  and good analysis

A question and a thought

Is the working group (called Web Content  … working group)  chartered now to work on non-web content?   if so this is news.  If not then you are restricted to Web Content

(the sentence that they MAY apply elsewhere seems fair — but it should also say that “ However, since these guidelines make the assumption that there is an accessible user agent included they are NOT SUFFICENT by themselves to be used for anything other than Web Content by themselves.

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu

-       A traditional website rendered in the browser of a mobile device.

-       A ‘Progressive Web App’ (an umbrella term for various recent technologies including offline stuff) that opens in the browser, but is optimised for mobile devices and it may not show the browser chrome.

-       A native app wrapper around an HTML based app, often using a framework to minimise the differences between iOS and Android. These are not opened in the browser but it may use the same (or very similar) rendering engine.

-       A native app that loads HTML views, not in the browser but it may use the same (or very similar) rendering engine. These may or may not load from the internet.

If it loads using http:// then it is a browser not web content.

-       A native app with nothing to do with the internet or web (W3C) technologies.