RE: Is Java Web Start covered by WCAG?

David wrote:

> WCAG only scopes content at URI's using HTTP to deliver.

Katie: (For historical clarity…..) This is *exactly* what was decided by the WG as the intended scope of WCAG 2.0. And, it was discussed ad nausea, as is the wording in each of these proposed SC today. The decision was not made lightly.

I am *not* sure that this means that we cannot and should not change it for 2.1. I am saying it is what made the most sense at that time in technology.

And for similar reasons we had to scope it to web content/web pages – though we really didn’t feel that was optimal, as we were looking at mobile even then.

​​​​​* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Principal ICT Accessibility Architect (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)

Cell: 703-371-5545 |  <mailto:ryladog@gmail.com> ryladog@gmail.com | Oakton, VA |  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/katieharitosshea/> LinkedIn Profile | Office: 703-371-5545 |  <https://twitter.com/Ryladog> @ryladog

> WCAG only scopes content at URI's using HTTP to deliver.

David, can you post the source of that definitive statement? Thanks in advance.

Mark wrote:

> I’ve argued that if it is built, authored, or generated with web technologies, it doesn’t matter if the HTML rendered by the user agent is local, remote via HTTP, or generated on the fly… WCAG applies.

​That's my general position as well.​ Using the delivery protocol as a delineating factor seems to me to be something of a red herring.

Prior to work happening on HTTP/2, Google and friends were also working on a delivery protocol called SPDY <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SPDY>  (pronounced "Speedy") that rendered web content faster in the browsers, and had support in both Chrome and Firefox. Using David's assertion, content delivered via SPDY would have been (technically) exempt from WCAG 2.0, and I'd argue that was never the intent or desire.

Alastair wrote:

The (largely circular) definitions aren’t particularly clear for this, but I don’t think it uses “web pages” as such. It doesn’t render in a user-agent, it downloads the “user-agent” as part of it.

​Correct, but the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines aren't about protocols (as James noted) but rather the *content* (and NOT "web pages" - see the original definition of Content in this thread, taken directly from WCAG 2.0) delivered over the web to "User Agents"... and if the protocol also supports the delivery of a 'custom' user-agent that is then rendering "Content", I'd argue that the *content* (including the custom widget application - aka role="application") is in scope (but not the delivery method).

I would continue to argue (and justify my position) that this same interpretation also covers streamed video content delivered via a protocol such as

RTSP

​ (

Real-time Streaming Protocol​

),

​

​

RTP

​ (​

​

Real-time Transport Protocol) and

​/or​

​

​

RTCP

​ (​

​

the Real-time Transport Control Protocol

​) - all of that *content* is in scope for the requirements surrounding support materials for Multi-Media (captions, described video, transcripts, etc.)​.

I'll further note that those requirements were in place *before* HTML5's <video> element had broad support, and covered *content* rendered in a Flash or Silverlight Player (aka "user agent").

A HUGE +1 to revisiting the definitions however, as this discussion clearly shows we have a gap, or at a minimum a lack of clarity.

​F​