RE: Must "technologies being used" be in a SC's text, if that SC has support in 2 technologies?

Nice summary of where we are and the challenges we face Gregg.

Mike

From: Gregg C Vanderheiden [mailto:greggvan@umd.edu]
Sent: 23 April 2017 17:01
To: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Cc: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>; Joshue O Connor <josh@interaccess.ie>; Stephen Repsher <stephen.j.repsher@boeing.com>; To Henry <shawn@w3.org>; Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>; Glenda Sims <glenda.sims@deque.com>; Jason J White <jjwhite@ets.org>; Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>; w3c-waI-gl@w3. org <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>; public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Must "technologies being used" be in a SC's text, if that SC has support in 2 technologies?

Hi Laura,

Tough question-  tough decision.

If you don’t include the phrase then the SC fails general applicability.
It must be scoped or it fails.

I agree that scoping it is not desirable, since it gives a pass to anyone that uses a technology that doesn’t support it.
but the alternative is the you PROHIBIT the use of any technology that does not support it.  If that is our desire - then we can include it without scoping - but it will limit the number of places that will adopt 2.1.     If 2.1 cannot be met except with HTML and PDF  as per your question — it is unlikely that it will be adopted like WCAG 2.0 was.

Standing back a bit though.  and remembering how we got here, helps to frame our situation and decisions.

In creating 2.1 we sort of have two goals.

  1.  To create a version 2.1 that would be adopted the same way WCAG 2.0 is.
  2.  To add SC that would push accessibility further.

If we are not careful with how we do number 2, we will not achieve number 1.

If, for example, we create version 2.1 in a way that it cannot be applied as broadly as 2.0, than we run the risk that it will not be adopted as widely as 2.0.

If we create 2.1 so that it is not testable (that is, so that authors have no way to test and be sure that they have passed)  in order to include more guidance, then we may run the risk that 2.1 will not be required in the same places the 2.0 was required —  because you can’t require or enforce conformance if authors and testers can’t tell when an SC has been passed.

 If we create 2.1 so that it has some provisions which are just too difficult, or required skills that authors in general will not have, then 2.12 it is not likely to be required as broadly as 2.0.

In short, if we compromise on the rigor we apply to SC in order to get more into 2.1 -  we may compromise the adoption of 2.1.   Unfortunately,  compromising on a few will jeopardize them all since 2.1 will be a set.

This does NOT apply to level AAA,  but it would go levels A and AA.

So we need to decide.  We can’t have out cake and eat it too.
  (actually we will have to decide this over and over again on each SC if we question the criteria or whether we should compromise any of them for any of the SC.)

Again I wish us luck.
And welcome to the pain that we went through with W2.   We spent years agonizing over this.

The gold will come from places where there ARE things that can meet the criteria for being criteria — and that were missed in 2.0.     I’m afraid it will be fewer than we like but lets see what we can find/create.

PLUS of course, there is additional gold in all the things that can’t be SC, but are great advice and can go into our best practices document.

Gregg C Vanderheiden
greggvan@umd.edu<mailto:greggvan@umd.edu>