Re: Adapting Text proposals for next week's survey. (was Re: Adding Greg L's Adapting Text proposals to the Wiki in anticipation of a vote between J&K and H&I)

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 20:16:23 +0100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
On 20/04/2017 16:50, Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:

>> On 20/04/2017 16:34, White, Jason J wrote:
>>> [Jason] Possibly also Open Document Format (ODF) or Office Open XML
>>> (OOXML), both endorsed by ISO.
>>
>> Are those really Web Content formats? (I'd even question the inclusion
>> of PDF in WCAG 2.0, in this respect)
>
> According to the WCAG 2.0 definition, yes they can be.

Assuming you mean https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#technologydef which
says, to paraphrase, "anything rendered, played, executed by user agents"

and then https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#useragentdef is defined as, to
paraphrase, "anything that retrieves and presents web content".

isn't that a completely tautological set of definitions?

Doesn't this mean that anything (other than native executables) is
effectively "Web Content" if it's loaded by a program, and that the
program then is a "User Agent" since it loaded it? So would a
Word/Excel/PowerPoint document be "Web Content"? Would a 3DS file be Web
Content because it's loaded into 3D Studio Max, and therefore 3D Studio
Max is a User Agent?

Or am I missing something?

Patrick H. Lauke