Re: SC #78 'Adapting text', and a question regarding consensus on icon fonts

On 20/04/2017 15:29, Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:
> If you go into https://symbolset.com and write the suggested words
> (cart, love, user, etc) they are converted to icons. Then go and
> change the font specified to arial or something else and you get the
> words.
>
> Doesn’t this address the issue?

If authors use this approach, it's arguably not an icon font in the
traditional sense. If they do this, then their approach would pass the
proposed SC automatically, so they wouldn't need any exemption from the
SC (which I understood to be the topic here, from Detlev's message).

So this would certainly be a potential technique (though it seems so
much more hassle than just using something like <svg>, which would be
the appropriate technology for this sort of thing) that can be
mentioned. But it does not require anything in the normative SC text to
be exempted or mandated, right?

Patrick H. Lauke