Re: SC #78 'Adapting text', and a question regarding consensus on icon fonts

On 20/04/2017 15:06, Andrew Kirkpatrick wrote:
> I think that it is a problem if we forbid any
> method/technique/technology that can be used in an accessible manner.
> So, while using icon fonts seems to be challenging to do well, it
> also seems possible to do well (see
> https://www.filamentgroup.com/lab/bulletproof_icon_fonts.html for
> problems and some solutions). If this resource is correct, we
> shouldn’t be doing anything to forbid icon fonts _done well_ but
> should be addressing the cases where the use of icon fonts causes
> problems.

There are techniques that can make icon fonts accessible to AT users,
and to users that run with browsers that don't support font-face,  but
no technique that makes them impervious to users changing their font
settings (note that this scenario is not mentioned in the
Filamentgroup's article).

> Then we can have a failure that shows how to fail the SC by using
> icon fonts incorrectly, and techniques that show positive examples of
> how to pass the SC, but we don’t want to be in the situation of
> saying that “yes, what you are doing is accessible, but because most
> people don’t do that correctly we are banning the practice”.

It's clearly not accessible if we're trying to allow for users to also
be able to arbitrarily change/override fonts though (which this SC does)

Patrick H. Lauke