Re: SC #78 'Adapting text', and a question regarding consensus on icon fonts

From: Patrick H. Lauke <redux@splintered.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 15:00:03 +0100
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
On 20/04/2017 14:50, David MacDonald wrote:
> Here's the current thinking around icon font accessibility
>
> http://fontawesome.io/accessibility/

While that is reasonable (incidentally, I contributed to this ages ago -
see https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/issues/9566 and
https://github.com/FortAwesome/Font-Awesome/pull/8950), it avoids the
fundamental problem of user-selected fonts.

More up-to-date thinking on the topic is probably "Death to Icon Fonts"
https://speakerdeck.com/ninjanails/death-to-icon-fonts

> Are these icons going to disappear if the font family is over ridden by
> a user style sheet?

Not just disappear, but be potentially replaced with arbitrary/random
characters in the overriding font, if present at those particular
unicode code points.

Patrick H. Lauke