Re: SC #78 'Adapting text', and a question regarding consensus on icon fonts

Alastair wrote:

> James’ technique looks good (marking font-icons with role of image), perhaps
> we can use that as a defacto-technique that meets the SC?

I find this in the comments:

*:not([role="img"]) {
font-family: Comic Sans MS, Georgia,'Times New Roman',serif;
}

So would this basically be a technique *for users* who would have to update any custom stylesheets they may be using by working in this exception for elements with role=img?
Or would it be part of an alternative style sheet offered by the author via a style switcher?
I guess there is nothing authors can do to safely exempt icon fonts from any manipulation by user style sheets that fail to cater for icon fonts this way, correct?