RE: Low Vision and COGA should Drop Support for WCAG 2.1 if the AG WG is not willing make real change.

Please can we stop this line of discussion!

I was not involved in the creation of WCAG 2.0 so cannot comment on what took place, but I really seriously doubt that there were active efforts to exclude the needs of LV and COGA users. I think that Gregg has identified the root of the problem – during the development of WCAG 2.0 it was, with the best will in the world, extremely difficult/impossible to draft LV/COGA SC that met all of criteria necessary for the creation of a valid SC.

Author-burden may have been an issue then and is also being raised now. I think that this issue is a grey area and I believe that this is something that the LV and COGA members can try to lobby for a more permissive approach than may have been done during the development of WCAG 2.0. But from my reading of the objections to the COGA SC proposals, author-burden is not the primary focus of the objections – it is all the rest (important access issues, testability, being essential, being applicable to all Web sites and types of content, being reasonably achievable by content creators, etc.).

I believe that most of our SCs are receiving objections because they:

  *   Are overly ambitious – trying to solve all the problems related to a particular topic with extremely long multi-element text that tries to address several aspects at once. With perhaps a couple of exceptions, WCAG 2.0 SCs are not like this – for a very good reason. The wider target an SC attempts to address the greater is the chance that there will be ambiguities and exceptions that cannot be fixed (even by adding even more words). Currently a range of WCAG 2.0 SCs taken together cover MOST of a broader issue, but there will be other aspects of that broader issue that will not be addressed. That is something that has to be accepted.
  *   Contain vague concepts – “simple”, “important”, “clear”, etc. These are very important ideas in relation to COGA, but they are not directly testable and attempts to define them are almost certain to be inadequate to cover all of the real-world practical realisations of these concepts.
  *   Rely on authors or testers having access to tools or technologies that are, as yet, either not yet built or not widely available and which have not been proven to meet the needs for which they are being proposed;
  *   Are simply not testable in ways that most people would accept as appropriate (often for the reasons above).

I really think that every member of the TFs really needs to “wake-up and smell the coffee” (to break a COGA metaphorical language rule) and realise that the problems are not due to all the people outside the TF being unreasonable. The problems are simply due to the current scope and wording of the proposed SCs – and that is for the TFs to try to fix.

I know that in the COGA TF many people are currently working very hard to try to fix the SCs. However, I fear that unless everyone forgets the “they’re all out to get us” thinking and accepts that there are really significant problems in many of the SCs and that it is up to us to fix them (accepting the validity of the sorts of issues raised in the above bullets - especially the first one) then I am very afraid that we will fail to achieve anything that might otherwise have been achievable.

We have to accept that what is realistically achievable will only ever be a fraction of the accessibility issues experienced by COGA users. Persisting in the belief that we can get acceptance for SCs that remove most of the barriers that COGA users experience is likely to lead to a failure to address any of their needs – resulting in an even greater feeling that nobody cares. Let’s not go down that route!

Best regards

Mike