From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 21, 2016 9:42 AM
To: Alastair Campbell <acampbell@nomensa.com>; WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Discussion on SC numbering

Thanks Alastair, this is helpful.

I like the idea of keeping the text of each 2.0 SC the same and adding SCs for 2.1. I’m worried that if we don’t do that that because we feel that we can modify the SC in ways that are backward compatible we will find that we have inadvertently broken backward compatibility because of something that we miss.

If we do maintain the text, then we have a clear development path for the incorporation of new SC and the order and the numbering can be changed (and re-changed) easily. We could also have two official versions if we wanted to do something simple like grouping the A/AA/AAA items together in one version of listing the SC in order in another.

When I think about the volume of training materials and testing resources that have built in the current SCs, and that rules like EN 301 549 and (hopefully) the new 508 that include the 2.0 SCs, I think that the “upsell” to 2.1 for people who have learned how to work with 2.0 will be more like a dot-release instead of a major release.

As you point out, no choice is perfect.

Thanks,

AWK

Andrew Kirkpatrick

Group Product Manager, Standards and Accessibility

Adobe

akirkpat@adobe.com <mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com>

http://twitter.com/awkawk