Re: Graphics contrast - critical principle

Hi Detlev,

It is an interesting point, just to clarify though a pie chart (with ‘thick’ slices over 3px wide/high) would need 3:1.

Even so, in the higher-contrast third example pie chart, none of the slices have more than 2:1 contrast against each other.
https://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/low-vision-a11y-tf/wiki/Informational_Graphic_Contrast_(Minimum)#Pie_Charts

Unless you go light – dark – light – dark, you wouldn’t have sufficient contrast without another method. And then you’d have to use even numbered pie charts!

What you could do is have some sort of border between them. All of the slices would have sufficient contrast with a 3px black or white border between them, and with careful colour choice that could with a 1px border.

Using a gestalt approach could help refine what a ‘graphical element’ is (although Bruce thinks we should not define that), but I can’t see how it would help from a contrast testing point of view.

Thanks,

-Alastair