Re: Question: placeholder label option

On 22/11/2016 20:29, David MacDonald wrote:
> Independent of the <select> specific element, it appears to me that the
> Placeholder attribute reports accurately to the ACCESSIBLENAME in the
> API for all interactive elements. From that perspective it seems to be
> sufficient. Where it is not sufficient is that it disappears when the
> user enters the field, so the moment they enter the filed, there is no
> visible label which fails 3.3.2.
>
> We may want to look at techniques where the placeholder floats visibly
> above the interactive element on focus.

However, Sailesh's question is not about the placeholder *attribute*,
but rather the <option> as part of a <select> which is designated as the
placeholder label option (see
https://dev.w3.org/html5/spec-preview/the-select-element.html#placeholder-label-option)

The placeholder label option should be exposed as part of the accessible
name calculation (if this is not yet spec'd, it should). I believe this
is the part that Sailesh was driving at.

Beyond that yes, similarly to the placeholder *attribute*, the
placeholder label option has the same shortcoming of effectively
"disappearing" (at least for non-AT/sighted users) once another
selection has been made.

Patrick H. Lauke