RE: Is it 2 or 3 years that WCAG will be updated? - I thought it was approx. 3

JF: If the priority of constituents has changed since the publishing of WCAG 2.0, and the current information posted on the Intro page is now inaccurate, I'd like to know when that happened (Meeting minutes, CfC, etc.), or, conversely, do we need to review that point as part of our going forward?

John,

The question raised in today’s meeting as I recall wasn’t ‘who is WCAG for’, but was not a question at all, but rather a response to you saying that WCAG wasn’t written for governments – to which I responded……

My memory is very clear on this, and certainly much of the meeting minutes from early on in WCAG 2 development should confirm, and perhaps my colleagues from that time, that since WCAG 1 was (surprisingly to many) adopted by laws around the world, the WG decided for WCAG 2 to specifically frame the SC language to be testable and articulated so as to allow them to be more easily included in design specifications, purchasing agreements (procurement), regulations (government), and contractual agreements.

If you look at WCAG 2 itself, under the WCAG 2.0 Layers of Guidance heading:

​​​​​“Success Criteria - For each guideline, testable success criteria are provided to allow WCAG 2.0 to be used where requirements and conformance testing are necessary such as in design specification, purchasing, regulation, and contractual agreements.”

Of course WCAG 2 guidance was made for developers, designers and others - for the benefit of the true constituents, *users with disabilities*. The crux though, is, that if those new SC aren’t adopted and required by governement in their regulations – than few users will benefit from those important new SC – because they won’t be implmented other than by a few accessibility companies, disability groups and other well-meaning organizations building mobile apps.

Beleiveing that new SC will be taken-up by most organizations, public and private, without them being required to do so by law, is pretty much wishful thinking. As much as some would like to believe that they live in a society that is enlightened, above accessibility needing to be mandated by law, I wish them the best – I do not live in that world.

In my experience, with almost all clients, as I sit across the table from them after an assessment or requirements meeting, what I hear from them is “What do I *have* to do”? The shoulds and the coulds rarely get the go-ahead.

* katie *

Katie Haritos-Shea
Principal ICT Accessibility Architect (WCAG/Section 508/ADA/AODA)