RE: Re[2]: CfC: Approve draft charter for AC review

In reviewing the draft, I missed the sentence that mentioned the proposed three-year cycle. My preference would be to have all language about regular updates removed from the draft Charter – that is, no signals at all.
I think the fact that we’re planning to complete Silver is enough of a signal that the era of only non-normative work with no revision of WCAG has ended. My suggested Charter provision would be to signal that we might decide to issue further 2.x releases, depending on the state of 3.0 toward the end of the next Charter period, but without placing any schedule on delivery of either 2.2 or Silver (i.e., this is to be decided based on the experience over the next few years).

From: josh@interaccess.ie [mailto:josh@interaccess.ie]
Sent: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 8:41 AM
To: Katie Haritos-Shea <ryladog@gmail.com>; Léonie Watson <tink@tink.uk>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Subject: Re[2]: CfC: Approve draft charter for AC review

Hi Katie,

<chair hat off>
I agree with many of the points that Leonie and Alastair have raised/articulated.
</chair hat off>

In order to try to reach consensus - or at least be clearer on what we don't agree on.
I'd like to ask you similar questions to David.

1) Could you live with us signaling a more regular update cycle or some form? Where we  signal intent to have a three year cycle, but not necessarily committing to it.
We can of course review our status at those times,  and release new SCs etc if we feel it is appropriate at that time.

2) If this is the case and the work is substantial and taking real shape then the efforts/energy of the group will go fully behind Silver. Otherwise maintaining a more regular dot.x release cycle is a practical alternative to allow us to keep WCAG a vibrant relevant standard.
Can you live with this?

Thanks

Josh