Re: charter update with two year cycle

Hi Andrew and all,

On 10/7/16, Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com> wrote:
> I have been reaching out for additional information.  I’ve reached out the
> Access Board again (and have in the past, which I mentioned in the meeting
> on Tuesday), I’ve also reached out to contacts in Canada, Australia, and the
> EU, and have also spoken with Lainey Feingold.  I expect that we will have
> more information to discuss soon.
>
> I do urge people to bring facts to the discussion

One fact that I am aware of is the Accessible Instructional Materials
in Higher Education (AIM-HE) Act [1] has been introduced in the U.S
Congress.

Among the duties of the new commission are:

"...develop and issue voluntary guidelines for accessible
postsecondary electronic instructional materials, and related
technologies..."

It doesn't mention WCAG but it does say:

"...ensure that the voluntary guidelines are consistent, to the extent
feasible and appropriate, with the technical and functional
performance criteria included in the national and international
accessibility standards identified by the commission as relevant to
student use of postsecondary electronic instructional materials and
related technologies..."

The National Federation of the Blind (NFB), the Association of
American Publishers (AAP), the Software and Information Industry
Association (SIIA), the American Council on Education (ACE), EDUCAUSE
have all been involved. If you or anyone else have contacts in those
organizations, they may be able to provide more info.

Kindest Regards,
Laura