Re: charter update with two year cycle

Good thoughts Alastair

The one thing to keep in mind though — is that a regulatory standard is completely different than a technical one.    To change what technologies you use only requires a decision of the technology authorizers.  To change a regulation requires years of vetting, review by all of the agencies, economic impact reports,  review by the white house office of management and budget etc.    It is a very very long process.   Also technical standards are all voluntary. Even the companies using them can use them or not or parts or whatever.   Regulations are totally different.      WCAG is a guideline not a regulation but if you want it to be picked up in regulations you need to live with those timelines.   look at 508.   How long was it between its revisions.   And even when the decision was made to change it, it took more than half a decade to make the change.  The new one is coming out soon (months) - and it will be a long time for the next one.        Even with a will to update it more often - it will take a long time to vet and get approvals for any revisions.   And each time you release a new version — you reset the clock and the vetting process needs to proceed anew.    Worse yet - if it keeps changing - there will be great pressure by those who don’t want it, to keep advocating to wait for the next one.   Or claiming that the standard is not stable because it keeps changing.

So it is kind of complicated.

But the people I would talk to are those at the Access Board.   They actually have a better idea of what is or isnt possible and timing etc than I or anyone else on this list.   Give David Capozzi a call and talk to him.    If what he says agrees with my comments — the good for me.   If it differs from what I said - believe him.   I am speaking from experience and the past.  He can speak from both experience and the past AND a much better understanding of the present and the future than I can.

gregg