RE: Question: testing for non-unique id values SC 4.1.1

> >We ran into a page on the desktop where a left quote was used on an attribute on the HTML element along with a matching straight quote.  A desktop assistive technology couldn't see the page content correctly.   The page looked fine.

> Fails 4.1.2

How could this be a SC 4.1.2 issue?  It occurred on the HTML element itself which is not a user interface component and is not covered under SC 4.1.2.    it was already discussed on this list that 4.1.2 can only apply to individual components and not the page itself.

>>On Android we ran into an issue with TalkBack where a combo box was completely invisible in Firefox.  Turns out the first item in the option list had a blank value and no label attribute.  Blank values must have a label attribute to validate.  Adding the label attribute solved the issue.

> Fails 4.1.2

I don't think that's intuitive or clear at all.  The intended value is blank and was blank and nbs was used in the textContent of the option.  The fact that the label attribute should have been used doesn't fall under 4.1.2 because adding aria-label to the option element didn't solve the issue -- so even with an accessible name via ARIA the bug still existed.  So it met the criteria of name, role, state, and value.

> Any that cause problems that do not fail under any other SC?  :)

ARIA markup is very particular about how the items are nested and where the tabindex is set, etc.  This doesn't relate to name, role, value, or events and isn't covered under 4.1.2.  The appropriate structure of the ARIA markup with required child elements is not clearly covered elsewhere.  I'm sure you will say it's covered un SC 1.3.1 -- but I don't think that's how it's currently seen by most of the world.

Jonathan

Jonathan Avila
Chief Accessibility Officer
SSB BART Group
jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com
703.637.8957 (Office)

Visit us online: Website | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin | Blog
Check out our Digital Accessibility Webinars!

>We ran into a page on the desktop where a left quote was used on an attribute on the HTML element along with a matching straight quote.  A desktop assistive technology couldn't see the page content correctly.   The page looked fine.

Fails 4.1.2

>On Android we ran into an issue with TalkBack where a combo box was completely invisible in Firefox.  Turns out the first item in the option list had a blank value and no label attribute.  Blank values must have a label attribute to validate.  Adding the label attribute solved the issue.

Fails 4.1.2

>Some valid nested structures even cause screen reader issues such as when explicit labels contain links -- some AT still have issues with that but it's gotten better.

Hard to tell, but sounds like 4.1.2.

Any that cause problems that do not fail under any other SC?  :)

AWK