From: Alastair Campbell [mailto:acampbell@nomensa.com]
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2016 4:03 AM
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: Question: testing for non-unique id values SC 4.1.1

Andrew asked:
>  If I implement content using javascript to create a useful DOM tree, am I using markup?

That’s a good point, and I would hope the answer is yes otherwise there is a whole category of websites not covered. (Assuming we want any to be covered by 4.1.1, the answer should be yes.)

It doesn’t seem to be a stretch to count JavaScript created markup or DOM manipulation as part of “markup languages”.

I think there has been a trend in recent years for AT to use the accessibility APIs rather than do their own interpretation. Jaws was the obvious one that did its own interpretation but I think it is using the APIs now… Can anyone confirm? Are there others that do their own interpretation?

If the APIs are the official way to do things, the usefulness of 4.1.1 has reduced as anything the browsers don’t interpret should be apparent to everyone, not just people using AT.

> Also, what is “markup content”?  :)

You (probably) jest, but “markup” does appear to be an omission from the WCAG 2 glossary!

-Alastair