Re: Question: testing for non-unique id values SC 4.1.1

From my memory  - this one originated from two things

1)  Browsers are so good at repairing bad code - that a lot of HTML had errors that did not affect normal use of the page (the browsers repaired them)
2) there was a big push by some that WCAG REQUIRE that all html pages pass validation in order to pass WCAG.    Since WCAG can only address accessibility problems - we examined whether non-valid HTML had any impact on accessibility.  The only thing identified was that some AT would read the HTML — and because the AT did not have all the repair abilities of browsers - the AT could get messed up by bad markup.   Specifically it could get messed up by code that did not parse.   Hence the SC.

I do not know how much of a problem this is today or which AT is affected how much.

Gregg