Re: Failures Definition (Problem?)

"Forcing the user to go to an alternative page to get this information
would not be productive."
Agreed. On the other hand the alternative page does allow for a claim of
conformance.

"Content that has a failure does not meet WCAG success criteria, unless an
alternate version is provided without the failure."
The logic of the sentence is confused or at least confusing.

The logic in that sentence says that the failure in content that has a
failure suddenly evaporates because an alternate version without the
failure is provided. That is not true. The content with the failure still
has the failure and should never be claimed as conforming to WCAG. The
content with the failure can become irrelevant with respect to WCAG
conformance when an alternate equivalent version without a WCAG failure is
provided.

An informative or actionable image rendered via CSS is a failure. Using a
technique to provide the same information, like an aria-label attribute on
a span element announced in the same context/location as the CSS image,
does not remove the failure associated with the image but it does make the
failure meaningless with respect to claiming WCAG conformance.

A little wordsmithing might resolve the confusion.
"Content that has a failure does not meet WCAG success criteria. Content
with a failure may be ignored when an alternate, equivalent version without
a failure is provided."

--
Regards,
Kurt Mattes