From: John Foliot <john.foliot@deque.com<mailto:john.foliot@deque.com>>
Date: Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 13:23
To: David MacDonald <david100@sympatico.ca<mailto:david100@sympatico.ca>>
Cc: WCAG <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org<mailto:w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>>
Subject: Re: Should we talk about an icon for transcripts in WCAG 2.1?

Hi,

I think that the topic of icons is almost separate from the question being posed (regarding transcripts).

Iconography relies on shared understandings, and while promoting a new icon for transcripts is, on the surface, a great idea, I'm not sure if WCAG 2.1 (or Silver) is actually the place to be doing it. David's link to Google examples show a wide variety of "transcript icons" already in use in the wild today, and I'd be loathe to have W3C/WCAG define which of those examples is the "correct" icon. From a cognitive perspective, I'd also be leary of only accepting a graphic/icon as a means of conveying information, and so any icon would likely also need some appropriate labelling (both visible and nonvisible) to meet existing WCAG requirements.

Equally, absent from the current WCAG, is any requirement around color contrast and icons (a huge gap I've disliked for years), and so while I would agree that some requirements for iconography be included in WCAG 2.1, I'm not sure a specific icon for a specific use-case is the right direction forward at this time.

The current "CC in a TV" symbol was created at WGBH Boston when they pioneered Closed Captioning in the early 1970's, however that symbol is not used universally around the planet: for example, according to this wikipedia page, in locales like New Zealand, broadcasters use the "Slashed ear" symbol, which is the International Symbol for Deafness. (reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_captioning)

*IF* however this Working Group, or another TF or WG inside of the W3C, was to take on the creation of new "web accessibility icons" (and I would suspect it would be a set, rather than just a single icon) we'd likely also need to liaise with the ISO, as they seem to have this space "controlled" (as it were) with regard to Standards:

Relevant International Standards

  *   The ISO 3864 series of standards which specify design requirements, including shapes and colours, for safety signs
  *   The ISO/IEC 80416 series of standards which specify basic principles for graphical symbols for use on equipment
  *   ISO 7000, Graphical symbols for use on equipment – Registered symbols
  *   ISO 7001, Graphical symbols – Public information symbols
  *   ISO 7010, Graphical symbols – Safety colours and safety signs – Registered safety signs
  *   ISO 17724, Graphical symbols – Vocabulary
  *   ISO 20712-1, Water safety signs and beach safety flags – Part 1 : Specifications for water safety signs used in workplaces and public areas
  *   ISO 20712-2,Water safety signs and beach safety flags – Part 2 : Specifications for beach safety flags – Colour, shape, meaning and performance
  *   ISO 20712-3, Water safety signs and beach safety flags – Part 3 : Guidance for use
  *   ISO 22727, Graphical symbols – Creation and design of public information symbols – Requirements
  *   ISO/IEC Guide 74, Graphical symbols – Technical guidelines for the consideration of consumers’ needs

JF