Re: Silver Design Process goals survey

In last Tuesday's meeting (23 August) I was asked to extend the Silver
Design Process goals survey and send out more explanation of each of the
goals.  Unfortunately, it languished in my Drafts folder without being
sent out.  But there is still time to answer the survey, or to change
your answers based on the explanation.

--------------------------------------

The survey for the Silver subgroup goals has been extended until 31 August.

All of the goals are important.  We want to get *relative *ideas of
importance, to help us decide what the different options for designing
Silver should be and what should be in them.  We are currently planning
to present the WCAG WG 3-4 options with various methods of achieving
that option.  For example, if WCAG WG indicates that "evidence and data"
is a "higher" priority goal, we will present an option where all the
methods are oriented toward research and usability data.

https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/silversurvey2016/

Goal 1: *Perspectives*.  Include as many perspectives as possible in the
process, to make Silver as effective as possible to each perspective.

Explanation:  The perspectives goal will focus on methods for looking
for a broader range of stakeholders -- going beyond the usual policy
makers, accessibility consultants and consultancies. This option would
focus on outreach to smaller disability groups that are overlooked, more
non-accessibility developers, QA testers, designers, and other
individuals or groups that are not usually involved in standards
development.

Goal 2: *Broad communication*. Broadly communicate our efforts, to keep
the community informed and supportive of the Silver activities.

Explanation: While this is important in any W3C project, this goal would
go beyond the usual "post to a W3C email list", and focus on methods to
broaden our outreach.

Goal 3: *Open Communication*.  Have easy and open communication
channels, to be as inclusive as possible of different perspectives.

Explanation: While this is related to Goal #2 Broad Communication, Open
communication is a two-way process where there would be easier channels
for input into Silver.

Goal 4: *Evidence & Data.* Use evidence and data to make decisions, to
ensure the outcome addresses real needs.

Explanation: This goal means that Silver subteam will do more research
and collect more data, especially user research, in determining both the
Silver structure and the content of Silver.

Goal 5. *Lifecycle*.  Attend to the lifecycle of Silver, so the outcome
is effective over time.

Explanation: This Lifecycle goal puts an emphasis on a design of Silver
that will be easier to maintain and update over time.  This goal came
from a discussion about our desire to avoid repeating the situation
where it took 8 years before an update to WCAG 2 was started. An
emphasis on this goal will result in a Silver that has a structure for
continuous maintenance, whatever that will look like.

Goal 6: *Scope*. Broaden the scope of applicability, so Silver is
inclusive of more disabilities and technologies.

Explanation:  This Scope goal is related to Perspectives goal, but is
specifically related toward identifying more groups of people with
disabilities which have not be directly included by WCAG in the past,
and insuring that their needs are served.

Goal 7: *Define & Engage*. Define and engage stakeholders, so people are
committed to the success of the effort.

Explanation: In this goal, we are considering involving more
stakeholders in the process of creating Silver than the active
participants in WCAG WG.

Goal 8. *Milestones*. Establish clear milestones, so we can track
progress throughout the effort.

Explanation: While milestones are important for all aspects of the
Silver project, this goal is really concerned with accomplishing the
Silver update with the best possible speed (that also meets the
requirements of W3C Process and the requirements of the WCAG WG).