Re: Color Contrast and Transparency | WCAG 2.1

In testing, we often encounter text over photos which have some parts of text with sufficient contrast, others not so.
The problem may be minor (just some small patches with insufficient contrast). If the background is not largely uniform / blurred but irregular, chosing the reference point for the colour picker gets difficult. In many cases, picking the worst bit of background (as David suggests) seems subjectively unfair if we are dealing with a small and isolated patch. Its main benefit is that it is rule-like ("always go for the point with the weakest contrast even if it is just one pixel wide").

Theoretically one could create a mix of bg colours (use Gaussian blur) to get the 'average' bg colour but that would not account for the perceived difficulties for reading on vivid backgrounds where the averaged value would pass but the text is nevertheless hard to read.

In sum: measuring contrast of text on photo backgrounds involves subjective judgment. Tools help, but whether you pass or fail an edge case around 4,5:1 will be down to your handling of the colour picker...

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis c/o feld.wald.wiese

Mobil +49 (0)157 57 57 57 45
Fax +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites