Re: Do we want a Biometric Alternative SC in WCAG 2.1?

I think (as others have suggested) that this is likely a WCAG 3.0/Silver
discussion, as it also seems to involve hardware and platform specific
variables likely outside of the "content" authors control.

About 2 or 3 years ago, I recall having an exploratory discussion around
the use of biometrics and authentication (while I was at JPMC), and during
those chats we absolutely understood that biometrics could augment (but not
replace) other forms of input/authentication, and I actually saw a proof of
concept authentication platform that allowed for multiple forms of
biometrics to authenticate: eye-scan/gaze, fingerprints, voice recognition,
etc. Thoughtfully applied, this could actually benefit some users (I'm
thinking mobility impaired as an easy example). The PoC platform I saw
could also leveraged other variables, such as GPS-aware sensors (i.e. you
could set a profile that your cell phone or other type of dongle (
https://shop.smartthings.com/#!/products/samsung-smartthings-arrival-sensor)
had to be in physical proximity to an ATM that was attempting to withdraw
money from your account) and/or you could require any 2 of 5 or 6 different
authentication "triggers" (e.g. voice and eye-scan).

It strikes me that this may be fertile ground for the newly formed Research
Questions TF that Jason is heading up to further explore (with a plug for
that TF: https://www.w3.org/WAI/APA/task-forces/research-questions/). We
may also want to monitor the Web Payments Working Group as they work on
authentication APIs (etc.), as I suspect there will be some valuable
cross-over between those efforts and personalization of web content and
secure, personalized "user profiles".

JF

--
John Foliot