RE: (WCAG 2.1) Do we want to replace ​"programmatically determined link context" in 2.4.4 with "Accessible Name"?

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 4:22 PM

I teach blind users how to use screen readers about 20% of my time, so I'm exposed to a fair number of screen reader users at all levels. Beginner and intermediate screen reader users depend heavily on lists of links. Advanced users such as those who we associate with do not tend to depend on links lists as much.
[Jason] I belong to the latter category: I almost never use lists of links, regardless of which screen reader/operating system is in question.

Aside from your reason above, the expanded definition addresses what appears to be a genuine ambiguity in the application of WCAG 2.0, SC 2.4.4. I think a real ambiguity that can be resolved without creating further difficulties (as may well be the case here) is reason enough to accept a proposal. (Everything that satisfies the old definition will satisfy the new one.)

On the other hand, I think it’s a small issue in the larger context of WCAG 2.1.

Thank you for your compliance.