From: Andrew Kirkpatrick [mailto:akirkpat@adobe.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 10:52 AM
To: White, Jason J; David MacDonald; Alastair Campbell
Cc: WCAG
Subject: Re: (WCAG 2.1) Do we want to replace ​"programmatically determined link context" in 2.4.4 with "Accessible Name"?

I think the question of extending the definition of “programmatically determined link context” should be treated separately from the question of whether to promote 2.4.9 or to make other changes.

That’s fine, but if that isn’t what this is about, why are we talking about it?  4.1.2 already requires a name for links, and this is defined to be the text by which software can identify a component within Web content to the user.  That doesn’t say “published Accessibility API”, but WCAG doesn’t absolutely require use of a published API (although it saves a lot of work – BELIEVE ME it saves a lot of work, and what you wind up with is a de facto accessibility API anyway).

AWK