RE: (WCAG 2.1) Do we want to replace ​"programmatically determined link context" in 2.4.4 with "Accessible Name"?

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2016 10:55 AM

Yes the proposal would be a new tighter requirement in WCAG version 2.1 that would ensure links lists in screen readers are meaningful, which is not required in 2.0.

[Jason] How would you address the concerns about tables containing links that have been raised earlier in the discussion, where it was argued that having an unambiguous but verbose accessible name would be undesirable for the user? I don’t have an in principle objection to the proposal, but I think there’s a need for a careful look at potential negative effects.
Another option here would simply be to promote 2.4.9 to Level AA, which would help a wider population of users – not just those who have assistive technology that accesses system APIs. Again, potential negative impact would need to be considered thoughtfully.

Thank you for your compliance.