From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, July 18, 2016 9:28 AM
To: josh@interaccess.ie
Cc: Sailesh Panchang; Patrick H. Lauke; WCAG
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Automated A11y non-issues and SC Parsing 4.1.1

My understanding is that the only time duplicate ids are a problem is when they are referenced by attributes of elements, and the AT doesn't know which one to go for.

Perhaps we could amend 4.1.1 to say something like:

"duplicate ids, where the ID is referenced by the attribute(s) of elements and is visible in the DOM tree."

Wouldn't this address false positives?

Also, I think crawlers that use a headless browser don't run into this problem, right?

Cheers,
David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.
Tel:  613.235.4902