RE: 1.4.2 audio control, do we want to require the stop mechanism to be more discoverable?

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2016 3:56 PM

Do we want to look at 1.4.2 for WCAG 2.1 to ensure the mechanism to stop auto play of music is easy to find and get to... currently the mechanism can be anywhere...

or should we look at the advances in Screen Readers (VO etc...) that force other system sounds to drop in volume when AT is running, as a positive step towards overcoming the problem in AT and user agents and not make any changes in 2.1?
[Jason] Requiring the control to be easy to locate would entail modification of the presentation of the Web page that goes beyond what we allow in Level A success criteria. However, we could add a requirement at level AA.
If we had IndieUI Events, the user could rely on a familiar keyboard or other mechanism to stop/pause playback. I also agree that advances of screen readers make that particular use case less necessary than it once was.
Perhaps there ought to be a “controls” ARIA landmark role in ARIA 2.0, in which case it (or a similar mechanism) could be required at Level A.
Suggestions?

Thank you for your compliance.