RE: Should 2.4.4 require Link text or ACCNAME, rather than enclosing sentence etc...

From: Jonathan Avila [mailto:jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com]
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2016 12:54 PM

Jason, I agree with your reading -- this was my area of concern – if point 2 can be used then it doesn’t help users with cognitive disabilities that aren’t using AT and doesn’t help users with motor impairment.  The benefits espoused only help in your point #1 – that isn’t clear in the understanding documents.
[Jason] I’m not sure that we are in agreement about point 2. In principle, yes, there could be a context of a link which can be programmatically determined but which is not visually obvious, but it seems to me that this is an exceptional case rather than a normal case. Wouldn’t the effort to make link text clear in context (where that context is such that it can be programmatically determined) usually help most users? I think we are in agreement about what I suggested in my last contribution, though – that point 2 doesn’t create a guarantee. The exceptional cases are allowed, even if they’re rare in practice.

Thank you for your compliance.