RE: Ethics of user testing and people with cognitive disabilities

Hi Josh,

It's important to keep in mind that "cognitive disabilities" is a wide spectrum. On the low end are people with intellectual disabilities, and on the high end are all of us as we age. In between are many people, such as those with Dyslexia, Discalculia, etc. The decision-making capacity of this population concomitantly varies widely.

My opinion is that people with cognitive disabilities should be trusted to make their own decisions. In the little time we have with them for studies, we cannot competently judge how well they make decisions. Thus we should rely upon them to be competent to make decisions, just as we would for anyone else, unless there is compelling evidence to the contrary. For example, in the U.S., people judged incompetent to make decisions have legal guardians who can do so for them or, better yet, with them.

To help successful decision making, explanations must be simple to understand. Other factors help as well, such as patience and repetition if needed. As we all know, such practices are good for everyone.

One ancillary but important point is that, at least in the U.S., people with cognitive disabilities are protected by institutional review boards, which must approve every facet of a study before it is undertaken. This is a result of a history of taking advantage of people with cognitive disabilities, such as tricking them into agreeing to participate in harmful studies. That alone justifies your wise question.

John

John Rochford
Director, INDEX Program
Instructor, Family Medicine and Community Health
Eunice Kennedy Shriver Center
www.DisabilityInfo.org

Please excuse typos and brevity. Message composed on mobile device.

Confidentiality Notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, proprietary, and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy or permanently delete all copies of the original message.