RE: Jonathan's concern: Zoom in responsive drops content

From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Thursday, July 7, 2016 1:29 PM

hard to write guidelines for authors content - that depends on what users use.
[Jason] Agreed.

Hmmm

Maybe write them based on how they are served (someone else suggested this earlier)

if author serves it formatted for standard sized screens — X applies
if author serves it formatted for screens  Y size or smaller  — the Y applies

but where to draw the boundaries?
and why?

for someone with low vision   X  is the same visibility as Y for someone else.

and we keep merging the two together.

and what if they serve it in 5 sizes….
[Jason] I think we’re going to see this kind of problem, in various forms, as Personal Needs and Preferences become more widely used to adapt content to the needs of various users.
I may be mistaken, but I understand the scenario under discussion here to be one in which the same content with the viewport size and orientation settings is served to all user agents. Mobile devices will tend to honor the settings, but desktop systems won’t. Please correct me if tehse are the wrong assumptions.
The author’s only responsibility is to use the correct code. This is why I think it belongs in the “technologies relied upon” category – they’re relying on user agent support for specific features in order to meet the proposed success criterion.

Thank you for your compliance.