RE: Should 2.4.4 require Link text or ACCNAME, rather than enclosing sentence etc...

From: David MacDonald [mailto:david100@sympatico.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, July 6, 2016 1:03 PM

COGA is recommending one normative SCs that would address link destination.

​*​
Instructions, labels, navigation and important information are provided with a clear writing style that includes:
​ ... ​
"On controls, links and buttons use words that identify their function. Function can be the destination of a link (such as "home" or "contact us")"
https://www.w3.org/wiki/WCAG/Coga_SC

[Jason] Side note: I don’t know how to define a “clear writing style” without being too subjective or language-specific.

COGA appear to acknowledge this, and is also proposing a coga-destination attribute, which is outside the context of WCAG SC's, and more along the lines of WAI ARIA attribute.
[Jason] Perhaps Web annotations would be a useful mechanism for doing this, complemented by an ontology of common UI control functions and link destinations so that familiar language or icons can be substituted by an assistive technology for whatever the author provides.

We can't require something that doesn't yet exist. I think we can safely say that in this 2.1 version we should do an incremental change, and as the coga-destination attribute makes its way through the long and winding W3C process and then to user agent support, we can watch carefully and if it seems doable we can open the language further, in 2.4.4

[Jason] Requirements that can be satisfied with annotations, markup or API usage can in principle rise to level A, and therefore, clearly, to level AA. I think a combination of Web annotations, markup, APIs and personalization techniques opens possibilities for much more individualized Web accessibility than we’ve seen before. There is an especially great potential for users with learning and cognitive disabilities to benefit.

Thank you for your compliance.