RE: Jonathan's concern: Zoom in responsive drops content

From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gregg@raisingthefloor.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 5, 2016 11:24 AM

Lots of good stuff here
[Jason] And more in Gregg’s reply – see my brief comments below.

I think the principle behind the examples was their 2D nature. The examples broke down to:
1.       Data tables. A spreadsheet is an editable data table, the periodic table is a complex table.
2.       2D Pictures. Maps are a 2D picture you can zoom into at various levels, games like angry birds are interactive pictures.

Yes that is the key.

now how to say it without an author saying   “the 2D presentation of my poem is important to it”
[Jason] The idea that I attempted to develop yesterday is that it must be important to the ability of users to read/interact with the content. This shifts the focus from the author to the effects on users’ task performance. The question now is how to say it without making undue assumptions about the users. We already assume that content has an intended purpose, thus I see no difficulty in referring to the intended purposes of the content here. It is already assumed that the users are operating in a visual mode (it’s a success criterion about visual presentation).
I also agree that the exception should apply only to the content that depends (in the relevant sense) on 2D spatial layout, rather than to the whole page.

one other thing - “when zoomed”
users often use PINCH ZOOM  and DO NOT WANT it to do anything more than an image zoom.

I think there was a post about different types of zoom  (I don’t find it quickly but something like (or better than) the following

  *   character zoom n  (enlarging fonts —  and images usually) (with reflow)
  *   virtual page width change  (zoom but keep visual page width the same- which means virtual page width changes)
  *   pinch zoom  (zoom it but don’t change it)

first and second bullet above may be the same thing.
[Jason] And this proposal should apply to the first and the second, but not the third, correct?
It would be helpful to understand better the dependence on display resolution and how this can be expected to change over time with the growing use of high-resolution displays, wearable computing devices, etc. We need a requirement that will outlast foreseeable technological improvements.

Thank you for your compliance.