Re: Jonathan's concern: Zoom in responsive drops content

On 04/07/2016 12:23, David MacDonald wrote:

> Jonathan says:
>> Responsive versions may have different functionality and some low
>> vision users are forced into breakpoints by using zoom or low
>> resolution they may not have access to content that would appear on
>> other’s desktops even when they are using a desktop and that they
>> can’t get the desktop functionality with their level of zoom or
>> resolution – that remains an issue.
>
> Given Patrick's definition of the different types of responsive, we
> should get an idea of which types of responsive more commonly drop
> content on a small screen version. - Pure CSS breakpoints -
> JavaScript which mimics/uses CSS breakpoints -UA sniffing on the
> server side
>
> Would we want to require ALL the content from the desktop on the
> responsive site? It may be optimized for a different use case than
> the desktop view, people on the go trying to complete a task without
> clutter... and people with cognitive disabilities may appreciate
> less content...

In general: users should be able to get to the same
functionality/content, regardless of any adaptations that were
automatically made on the site/app based on factors such as device, user
agent, screen size, etc. So as a very high-level goal, agree.

> We may want to develop a simple toggle switch that adds the dropped
> content that was on the desktop view when responsive kicks in
> WITHOUT forcing it back to the desktop view which requires horizontal
> scroll on zoom in  ... if we make it easy, then perhaps we can
> require it?

As there are many ways (from the very simple to the extremely complex)
for a site to provide adaptations based on all sorts of factors, I think
it's rather optimistic to think that we can simply provide a ready-made
switch/button (and associated code) that authors can just drop into
their site.

I'd say the high-level principle is one that should be codified into an
SC. The "How to achieve this" part needs to be left up to authors -
though of course a super-simplified example to illustrate the point can
be made, but certainly not required...especially as WCAG shouldn't
(can't?) require actual technologies/techniques, but only require that
the OUTCOME of the SC is met.

Patrick H. Lauke