From: Sailesh Panchang
Sent: Sunday, March 27, 2016 2:58 AM
To: David MacDonald; Judy Brewer
Cc: WCAG; wai-eo-editors
Subject: Re: Proposal to get out of the techniques business on WCAG.NEXT

No one expects one to read  2000 or whatever  pages from top to bottom. The content is organized in amanner that allows one to dig deeper into a particular  SC or topic of interest so that one's questions get answered.
The understanding / techniques or other informative / explanatory content cannot be lumped with normative WCAG2 to determine the length of the guideline or standard.

The techniques play a very significant role  especially because:
- they are grouped  generally by the situation to which they apply
- they are more specific in terms of implementation details  with regard to a technology and convey when a technique has been implemented successfully.
e.g. H44 explains that a label element needs to be visible in order to pass SC 3.3.2 or that
a title attribute should be relied upon  for labelling form controls only in certain situations (H65), or
H39 and H73 explain that the table summary should not duplicate information in the table caption, or
G1, G123 and G124 convey which skip technique is appropriate in which situation  and so forth.

Users of WCAG 2 including accessibility consultants rely on  such informative details as well as WG's  answers  to specific questions about techniques and understanding docs.

Without the authoritative albeit informative  (not normative)  documentation, there would be lots of different and conflicting  statements and opinions  put out by  different consultants / experts that will confuse  developers and clients. This is not good for WCAG2 or in other words, a Judy noted , the techniques help to increase confidence in WCAG2.

Thanks,
Sailesh Panchang